MCPatcher is a tool that will allow you to use HD texture packs, but it’s also more than that. It features the ability to automate installation of Minecraft mods. You just load the appropriate mod file and MCPatcher will do the rest, installing it into your Minecraft while doing the best it can to avoid conflicts with other mods. It then allows you to save a “profile” that remembers which mods you had installed. In this way, you can easily set up several mod packs and swap between them with ease.
There are more features included, as listed by the developer:
- Better Glass! More transparency options for glass textures.
- Better Skies. Add your own textures to the day and night skies. Many options for fading and blending.
- Custom Colors mod. Texture pack authors can now customize many colors in the game including swamps, lighting, and more. See Misa’s texture pack for examples.
- HD texture pack and font support.
- Custom terrain and item animations for any tile, including water, lava, and portals.
- MrMessiah’s BetterGrass mod.
- Balthichou’s RandomMobs mod.
- Connected Textures mod.
- Ability to load other mods like ModLoader. See “Installing other Mods” for details.
- Ability to save and load mod profiles and switch between them easily. Also organize your mods by the Minecraft version they go with.